Lens Operation and Control

Summary

In this project, our class split up into groups of up to three and each person was assigned a part.  There were three parts/jobs; finding the definitions of the concepts and terms for this project, finding photos that were taken with a macro, zoom, and wide lens from the creative commons (Flickr) and replicating them, and to film a video with at least five terms demonstrated/shown in it.  In my group, Abby was in charge of the photos and I was in charge of finding the definitions.  Kaitlyn joined our group later on so we all worked on the video together.

Timeline

Day 1- Create the blog post.  Denise transfers definitions from google drive into blog post and Abby finds pictures to replicate.

Day 2- Abby’s gone.  Denise think of video ideas.

Day 3- Abby finds the rest of the photos to replicate and goes to take them. Denise helps Abby and makes storyboard/outline for video.

Day 4-  Film parts of video.

Day 5- Film more parts of video.

Day 6- Film more parts of video.

Day 7- Film last parts of video.

Day 8- Edit.

Day 9- Edit and start creating audio (voice over/narration).

Day 10- Add finishing touches in editing, wrap up (write in blog posts), and watch videos.

Terms and Concepts

• Focal Length – The distance between the lens and the image sensor when the object is in focus (usually in mm).  If you want to show the whole scene, use a short focal length.  When focusing on a detail or details, use a long focal length.
  • Types of Lenses:
    • Macro Lenses and Focus – Lens that are used to take really close-up photos of subject(s).
    • Zoom Lenses – Lens that are used to change smoothly from long shot to close-up
    • Wide Angle Lenses – When the lens’ focal length is less than 35 mm.  This creates a bigger angle of view across the photo’s widest dimension.
    • Fisheye – Wide-angle lens with a field of vision up to 180 degrees.  The scale is reduced towards the outer edges.
  • F-Stops – This is the number relating to a particular f-number of aperture (size of the opening of the lens to let in light).
  • Lens Speed – Maximum aperture diameter or minimum f-number of lens.
  • Iris – The adjustable aperture used to control the amount of light coming through the lens; the eye/lens opening.
  • Depth of Field – The distance between the nearest and farthest objects in focus (how far the focus is).
  • Angle of View – This can be measured horizontally, vertically, or diagonally and it describes the angular extent shown in the picture.  The focal length determines this.
  • Zoom and Zoom Ratio – Multiplier number that tells how much zoom there is or how zoomed in/out you can get from the lens.
  • Filters – Reduces any glare, improves saturation, and provides extra protection for the front of the lens.
  • Image Stabilization – This is used to reduce blurring in relation with the motion of camera
  • Manual and Automatic Focusing – Focusing done by the camera and focusing done by the photographer.
  • How to work effectively in close-up situations – Use a tripod and compose the photo/shot beforehand.  Think of what you want to take a picture of before you go out and take it.

Macro, Zoom, Wide Lens Photos

Macro Lens Photo

Photo from Flickr by mondays child

Daises

My photo

Wide Angle Lens Photo

Photo from Flickr by fensterbme

Forest trail

My photo

Zoom Lens Photo

Water droplet on a blade of grass

Photo from Flickr by ManoharD

• 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 134.5 mm
  • 1/90
  • 400
Water droplets on a blade of grass

My photo

Lens Video

Skills Demonstrated

0:06 – 0:12 Depth of Field

1:22 – 1:29 Short Focal Length

1:30 – 1:33 Wide Angle of View

1:52 – 1:55 Zoom

1:02 – 1:11 Manual Focusing

What I Learned

I learned more about different lenses that are used to take photos and how they differ from one another.  I also learned about focal length and angle of view during this project, as well as how they relate to each other (the focal length determines the angle of view; the lower the focal length number, the wider the angle of view).  Also, the f-stop number relates to the opening of the lens and iris of the lens.  The depth of field also relates to the lenses that you’re using because it depends on the focal length of the lenses used.  On a separate note, I learned how to work more efficiently in a group and how to deal with issues that come up and interfere with the progress of the project.  We ran into multiple problems while working on this project, but it didn’t stop us.  For one, we couldn’t work as much or as fast because group members were absent on some days.  Also, we ran into problems when attempting to export the video, but we asked for help, gave it time, and worked at figuring what was going on.

Link to a Tutorial I Used

Lens Focal Length Graphic